Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving


Hello everyone. Oh, I just love this holiday. It is by far my favorite. I love the time to spend with family and thinking about all that I am thankful for. I love the crispness in the air and the colorful leaves that fall (in other places outside of California).
Well, I was busy yesterday morning and today. I made my cranberry relish and dressing yesterday to get a head start on the prep work for today. This morning I planned out my day. Since it was just my mom, Jay and me I bought a turkey breast. Let's just say a few things went wrong...our new oven is 50* off on its temperature reading (I program 375* and the oven heats to a mere 325*), then as I was ready to heat the gravy the knob broke off our new stove, so that burner was useless. Ok, in the end everything was ok, this year the turkey was a little dry and a lot salty (last year it wasn't cooked, but I am not sure why it was salty), the rolls cooked a minute longer than they should have so the bottoms were a little over cooked, the mashed potatoes were not as smooth as I would have like, but my dressing, cranberry sauce, green beans, and canned beets were spot on.
Later on we will partake in cupcakes we bought yesterday on our travels through Beverly Hills and Rodeo Drive. We stopped in at Sprinkles as it was sprinkling out.
Jay and I are off to walk Maddie and take our local fire station two pies (nope, I didn't bake them...safer that way).
I hope everyone had a fabulous day. As you are shoveling in the food, take time to remember the true meaning of this day. We tend to celebrate Halloween and then race to Christmas forgetting to enjoy the pleasures of Thanksgiving. Enjoy the day. Oh, food has zero calories on this day!

No comments: